Wednesday, December 5, 2012

God Thinking IX - Drawing Closer To God 2

"God thinking paints a dynamic Word picture of how God wants us to think, so that we can become like Christ; And we become like Christ by being renewed, day by day, by the Holy Spirit.   
 
But what I learned from my experiences with God is that even God thinking cannot accurately describe who God is.  God cannot be described by human reasoning.  Not even the spirit-filled believer can put into words an adequate, all-encompassing description/representation/depiction or portraiture of God.  God cannot be uncovered and revealed like a man or a woman or a created thing.
 
How would the finite mind describe the infinite God anyway?
In finite terms.  In every attempt, even the prophets of God were tongue-tied when trying to describe just a single experience with God, much less the All-ness of God.  Listen to these descriptions:
 
Exodus 33:13 & 20 - 23 & 34:5,6a, 8
V13 Now therefore, I pray thee, if I have found grace in thy sight, show me now thy way, that I may know thee, that I may find grace in thy sight: and consider that this nation is thy people.
V20 And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live. 21And the LORD said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock: 22And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by: 23And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.
Exodus 34:5, 6a, 8
“5And the LORD descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the LORD. 6And the LORD passed by before him,...
V8And Moses made haste, and bowed his head toward the earth, and worshiped.”
 
Isaiah 6:1-6a
1In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple. 2Above it stood the seraphims: each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly. 3And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the LORD of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory. 4And the posts of the door moved at the voice of him that cried, and the house was filled with smoke.
5Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone;
 
Ezekiel 1:26-28
26And above the firmament that was over their heads was the likeness of a throne, as the appearance of a sapphire stone: and upon the likeness of the throne was the likeness as the appearance of a man above upon it. 27And I saw as  the colour of amber, as the appearance of fire round about  within it, from the appearance of his loins even upward, and
from the appearance of his loins even downward, I saw as it were the appearance of fire, and it had brightness round about. 28As the appearance of the bow that is in the cloud in the day of rain, so was the appearance of the brightness round about. This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD. And when I saw it, I fell upon my face, and I heard a voice of one that spake.

Revelation 1:10, 4:1-3, 22:8
10I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,

Revelation 4:1-3
After this I looked, and, behold, a door was opened in heaven: and the first voice which I heard was as it were of a trumpet talking with me; which said, Come up hither, and I will show thee things which must be hereafter. 2And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne. 3And he that sat was to look upon like a jasper and a sardine stone: and there was a rainbow round about the throne, in sight like unto an emerald.”

Revelation 22:8
8And I John saw these things, and heard them. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which showed me these things.

Don't feel too bad if you can't describe God in a way that gives Him the glory either."

Excerpt from God Thinking IX - Drawing Closer To God by Keith C. Powell Copyright 2012

 

No comments:

Post a Comment